Your web browser is no longer supported. To improve your experience update it here

How do I get flood recovery payments? Your questions answered

Disaster funding has been approved for 23 local government areas in New South Wales as the flood crisis to hit the coast continues.
The LGAs cover parts of the NSW coast including much of Sydney that have been hit with riverine and flash flooding in the past few days.
"While we are still very much in the emergency response phase of this developing weather event, as waters recede we will work with communities to assess longer term recovery needs and ensure appropriate long-term support is provided," NSW Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke said in a statement.
Sydney floods
Flooding at Windsor, where the Hawkesbury River peaked at about 14m this morning. (9News)
The funding was activated overnight by the federal and NSW governments working in tandem.
Federal emergency management minister Murray Watt touted their quick response.
"More proactive cooperation on disasters between Fed-State Govts means we're better prepared and respond faster," Watt tweeted.

Which LGAs are eligible for disaster funding?

The LGAs are Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Canterbury Bankstown, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Cessnock, Fairfield, Georges River, Hawkesbury, Hornsby, Kiama, Lithgow, Northern Beaches, Penrith, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Sutherland, The Hills, Wingecarribee, Wollondilly and Wollongong.

Who is eligible for the flood recovery payments?

A flood recovery payment is a lump sum of $1000 per eligible adult or $400 for each eligible child.
To be eligible, you must live in one of the listed LGAs and have been substantially affected by the flooding.
Road signs are submerged under floodwater along the Hawkesbury River near the Windsor Bridge.
Road signs are submerged under floodwater along the Hawkesbury River near the Windsor Bridge. (Getty)
If you are the immediate family member of a person who has died or is missing in the floods, you are eligible.
If you were seriously injured by the flood, you can also get the cash payment.
If the flood caused major damage to your home or a major asset at your home (cars, caravans, machinery), you are eligible.

How badly does a home need to be damaged to get a payment?

Minor water damage is not enough to be eligible for a disaster recovery payment.
Major damage includes if the home is destroyed or needs to be demolished, if the interior has been exposed to the elements or if it is declared structurally unsound.
If sewage has gotten inside your home, you are also eligible.
If the flooding has caused major damage to your flooding or furniture, electrical items or metal elements in the home that requires replacing, you are also eligible.
People look at the flooded Windsor Bridge on the outskirts of Sydney.
People look at the flooded Windsor Bridge on the outskirts of Sydney. (AP)

Who can claim the payments?

Couples are both eligible to claim disaster support payments if they have both been affected. Two claims need to be made.
You can also claim on behalf of a dependent child you are the primary carer for.
But you cannot claim on behalf of someone who has died.
Only Australian residents or those with an eligible visa are eligible.

How much is the disaster recovery allowance?

A disaster recovery allowance is a short-term income for those who are unable to work as a result of the flood.
But the $350 a week for a maximum of 13 weeks is only available to certain people.
You are eligible if you were seriously injured in the flood, or an immediate family member died.
If you suffered major damage to your home you can also get this payment. 
People who are already on government support like old-age pensions, JobSeeker, Austudy or other payments are not eligible.
Foam at Cronulla Beach.
Bizarre sight on Sydney beach

Send your photos, videos and stories to 9News

Auto news: 2022 Maserati SUV lineup due by the end of the year  -